2016 Annual Meeting Minutes

2016 COPAA Annual Meeting Minutes

March 31, 2016, SfAA, Vancouver, Canada

Prepared by Sally Carraher, Secretary

In attendance:

Sherri Briller Purdue University sbriller@purdue.edu
Toni Copeland Mississippi State Uni tcle57@msstate.edu
Allison Kabel Uni Missouri kabel@health.missouri.edu
Charles Klein Portland State chklein@pdx.edu
Amy Paul-Ward FIU paulward@fui.edu
Kimberly Shay Wayne State Kimberly.shay@wayne.edu
Ping –Ann Addo UMass Boston Ping-ann.addo@umb.edu
Drew Gerkey Oregon State Drew.gerkey@oregonstate.edu
Luminita Mandache U of Arizona lmandache@email.arizona.edu
Linda Bennett U of Memphis lbennett@memphis.edu
Elizabeth Briody Cultural Keys, LLC. Elizabeth.briody@gmail.com
Michael Duke U of Memphis m.duke@memphis.edu
Kristen Ogilvie U Alaska Anchorage kaogilvie@uaa.alaska.edu
Sally Carraher U Alaska Anchorage sfcarraher@uaa.alaska.edu
Brian Crawford No current affiliation (considering going to school for applied anth) Bcrawford75@gmail.com
Sue Hyatt IUPUI suehyatt@iupui.edu
Margie Buckner Missouri State U mbucker@missousistate.edu
Susan Schalge Minnesota State Susan.schalge@mnsu.edu
Nicole Peterson UNC Charlotte npeterson@uncc.edu
Karen Quintiliani Cal State – Long Beach

 Minutes:

  1. Introductions
  1. COPAA Business Meeting and organized sessions

COPAA had several sessions at SfAA this year and these were generally very well attended. Sherri Briller will solicit reports from session chairs to put on the COPAA web site.

Because COPAA has been growing the number of sessions we offer at this annual meeting, we discussed today asking the SfAA Board to allow COPAA to have our sessions marked in future programs, as other interest groups already do.

Toni Copeland and Sherri Briller will look into this.

  1. Accomplishments this year

The new COPAA web site is up and running. Much effort was put into moving web content off of a university server onto WordPress. Christina was web master for a long time (when the web site was still on a UnT server). The new Word press site allows us to update the web site and not have to change the server every time a new web master is from another institution.

Sue Hyatt noted there’s a lot of broken links currently. (On NAPA web site too).

Sue was asked to provide a list of links that are not functioning, or asking students in her class to look and make a list.

Pod casting some COPAA sessions in the future may be possible. We discussed creating a an initiative that would fund a student to do this in the future and pay for them to come to SfAA to handle creating COPAA session pod casts.

Members discussed additional things related to COPAA session podcasting that we should consider:

  • Maybe use of Dragon or other software that transcribes as well as records.
  • One concern is how accurate the transcribing might be – people with different voices and dialects, for example. But newer versions of this software are supposed to be really good.
  • Perhaps NAPA might like to collaborate with COPAA to support a student (or two students) to come to SfAA and be in charge of making pod casts.
  • Suggestion made to have two students work together, so that they can share the work load and be able to each attend other non-COPAA/NAPA sessions at the meeting that they want to see that might be occurring simultaneously. Also, allows flexibility so each student can get the most out of the conference for themselves.
  • Having two students would also enable us to do overlapping assignments in which one student takes a more leadership role and another trains under them for a year. For example, student A does this position for years 2017-8, and student B in 2018-9, thus allowing overlap and transitional training.
  1. Future of COPAA

 

Future collaborations with NAPA – We have done the career expo with them before, but there’s a lot of NAPA anthropologists and COPAA has the departments (w students!) to match to them.

 

COPAA is going to ask SfAA to schedule NAPA and COPAA at different times so people can attend both in the future.

 

We discussed more ways to connect with other people and groups, including cheaper/free ways of communicating:

  • Connect people from COPAA with others via Skype. What do our member departments want to see? What does NAPA want to see?
  • Maybe we could partner more actively between our recent departments (mentoring recently-joined COPAA departments with older member departments).

 

The COPAA bank account/banking situation may need to be changed to make it easier on both COPAA treasurer and our member departments to process the dues payments. Things to consider included:

  • COPAA bank – should we make it an account that is not linked to a university or individual, but directly to COPAA?
    • What about tax ID #?
    • What about regulations: non-profit, 501c organization?
  • Square
  • Pay Pal
  • Should we form a subcommittee to look into this?

 

COPAA discussed finding better ways to link students from COPAA institutions with NAPA practitioners as mentors. Issues discussed included:

  • NAPA doesn’t have a formal mentorship program, rather they work on a case by case basis to find students and mentors to match
  • Vetting of students and mentors – will they be a good fit?
  • What if there’s too many students who all want to work with one practitioner?
  • What if a practitioner really wants students and no one responds to work with them?
  • The UAA Center for Community Engagement and Learning has a web site placement board that allows students, community members, and faculty to announce opportunities for partnerships. You can check it out at https://www.uaa.alaska.edu/engage/community-campus-connections.cfm (although as of today when Sally tries to use it, the tabs are not showing up like they used to. Hopefully this is fixed soon so you can see the site).

 

We are forming a subcommittee to look into this: Charles Klein, Sally Carraher, Amy Paul-Ward, and Luminita Mandache. Possibly Neil Tashima as well (who can contact him)?

 

For SfAA next year:

  • Perhaps COPAA should hold a summit meeting the day before the conference and invite NAPA to co-sponsor it.
  • A COPAA panel with representation from students, practitioners, and faculty members on the topic of transitioning from your student field work/applied research into the writing process. Could be more of a workshop model rather than a session of presentations. It was suggested that the Association for Black Anthropologists has a model for something like this that we could look at. http://aba.americananthro.org.
    • It was suggested this would require a lot of effort, and perhaps we should have more of a roundtable on transitioning from student fieldwork into writing up in year one and then build on those findings to develop an actual workshop in year two
  • Panel or session aimed at developing COPAA/SfAA guidelines for academic departments who have applied anthropology programs to develop program assessments, which are increasingly required at universities these days.
    • Is there already a document about this available at AAA (or NAPA?).

 

We need more than an hour for COPAA meetings in future! Try to get SfAA to schedule longer meeting next year.

 

  1. Open positions

 

Treasurer – Elizabeth Briody (start in November).

 

Webmaster position is open – Please let colleagues/potential students know about this!

 

Co-chair – (Sue Hyatt just leaving) – Please let colleagues know about this opportunity!

 

Student rep – This position should try to engage students and what they want to see in their future – do they want to do applied anth? And continue discussion with students about how they decide whether to do applied or theoretical anthropology.

 

Maybe we should try to roll the podcasting and rep positions into the student rep position? Please let colleagues and students know this position is coming open!

 

PR position – Maybe we should create a PR position for COPAA:

  • Inform applied programs/departments what the benefits of joining COPAA are
  • Inform member departments what they get out of COPAA
  • Facilitate sharing of talking points that member departments can use to inform their universities/admins about their applied anthropology programs, and why they are members of COPAA
  • To act as a go-to person when others have questions about what COPAA is or what information and opportunities we offer

 

  1. Treasury Report

 

We’re going to start putting the treasury report on the web site.

 

21 of 36 member departments paid dues for 2015-6 year. We will follow up with those that haven’t paid.

 

17 of 21 member departments paid last year.

 

Next dues are due in fall 2016 for the 2016-7 year.